ASDMA conducted a workshop on disaster management for people with special needs in collaboration with Assam Autism Foundation (AAF) on February 23, 2013. The workshop was organised in order to appraise the purpose and need of empowering the people with special needs during a disaster.
The workshop was attended by Mrs Khirada Kumari Baruah a well-known social worker, Guwahati; Mrs Malobika Baruah, State Commissioner for Disabilities, Govt. of Assam; Mrs. Nandita Hazarika, State Project Officer, ASDMA & Deputy Secratery, Revenue & Disaster Management Department; Mr. Bikash Das, Head of the SBI Learning Center; Mr.Siddharta Goswami, Circle Officer, Office of Deputy Commissioner, Kamrup Metro; and Dr.Shabina Ahmed, Managing Trustee of AAF.
The programme was attended by 130 participants from different organizations viz. Holy Cross Center for Disability, Changchari; Monfort School, Center for Disability; Ashadeep; Guwahati Blind School, Latakata, Baisistha; Swabhalambi; Ex-students of Shishu-Sharthi; Assam Autism Foundation (parents, students and all caregivers); Deaf Individuals and parents having children with special needs.
Significant features of the workshop
- A condensed form of the booklet in Braille was released on the occasion. The book is the first of its kind for the blind. This book was distributed to the participants who are visually impaired.
- An animated film on the hazards of natural disaster and the after affects was shown to the participants on the occasion.
- An essay competition on the topic “My Experience during an earthquake/fire/any calamity” was held to understand the perspectives on disaster management by the persons with disability. The participants were from Atma Nirbhar-Ek challenge, Jyoti Niketan Schhool for blind, Monfort School, Disability Center and AAF. The winners of the competition were awarded on the occasion.
- A pictorial booklet on mainstreaming disability in disaster management , compiled by the managing trustee, Dr. Shabina Ahmed and published by ASDMA, Govt. of Assam, was released on the occasion.
- An exhibition was carried out and posters on Autism Awareness, projects of parents of the children of AAF and publications of AAF were displayed. Swasharay, which is a self help wing of AAF, also displayed its paper products for sale. Its focus was on environment friendly products.
- A special feature of the workshop was that all lectures were interpreted by a sign language instructor for the deaf. Files and reading materials were distributed to the participants.
- Demonstration on Search and Rescue was carried out by a team under Mr.K.Ullah, ADCCD(Sr) ,Central Training Institute,Panikhaiti.
- Another demonstration by a team on First Aid was carried out by a team headed by Mr. Deka, Red Cross Hospital. The participants also look part in the demonstration.
- Fire Safety tips were demonstrated by a team from the State Fire Service headed by Mr.Biswajeet Baishya.
- Materials on Disaster Management and Do’s and Don’ts of different kind of disaster published by ASDMA were distributed among the participants.