Download the Complete Report
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) is implementing a 100 % centrally sponsored scheme viz. National School Safety Programme-a Demonstration Project in two districts of 22 States/ UTs of the Country.
Objective of the Project:
- To promote culture of Safety in Schools by initiating policy level change
- To undertake Capacity Building activities of Officials, teachers, students and other stakeholders
- To Undertaking IEC activities
- To promote non-structural mitigation measures and
- To demonstrate structural retrofitting
The project proposes to take up 200 schools in Kamrup and 200 schools in Tinsukia district and one school in either of the district will be retrofitted.
Components of the Project:
- Formulation of draft National School Safety Policy
- To mainstream Disaster Risk Reduction in Education through Disaster Risk Education in frontline school curriculum, introduction of co-curricular activities like action projects, special tutorials / fun learning sessions / training on life supporting schools at school level etc.
- Advocacy measures for linking SSA e.g. Universalization of Elementary Education, NREGA, TLC with DRR
- Ensuring incorporation of hazard safety norms in construction of educational institutions/ class rooms
- Facilitate involvement of PRIs in school safety measures.
- Capacity Building
- Supporting preparation of Disaster Management Plans, (200 schools in target districts) Disaster Management Teams, training of DM Teams on basic life supporting skills and developing school level emergency kit.
- Development of a standard Teachers Training Module on School Safety
- Translation into regional languages and printing of Teachers Training Module
- Training of 10 master trainers in each State
- Training of Teachers programme (15 trainers in each district)
- Training of 500 teachers / officials in each district
- Distribution of School Disaster Preparedness Kits in 200 schools in target district
- Conduct of Mock Drills in 200 schools in target districts
- IEC Activities:
- Development of IEC materials and learning Aids in local language (booklets)
- Development of IEC materials- Audio Visual
- Translation, printing and dissemination of IEC materials
- Preparation of District level implementation plan
- Selection of partner organisation as stakeholder
- Conduct of Awareness Generation activities through DEOs, BEEOs, Sr. Teachers, NDRF, Civil Defence, NSS, NYK volunteers etc
- Other district level events like painting competition, debate, essay writing and quiz etc
- Non- Structural Measures:
- Preparation of standard check list for assessing existing non- structural risks in school buildings
- Training of at least 2 Engineers from each target districts on non-structural safety assessment
- Rapid Visual Screening (RVS) for all school buildings of States falling in earthquake Zone IV & V
- Implementation of Non-structural measures in 200 schools in target districts
- Demonstrative Retrofitting of one School in each State
- One model Secondary School with approximately 1500 students in one these two districts will be retrofitted. This retrofitted school can also be used as a relief shelter by District Administration in emergencies.
- Criteria for selection of 200 schools in target districts:
- Location of the School in multihazard area including human induced disasters
- Schools already used as relief shelter in the past
- Schools ideally located on higher ground
- Schools having potential to be used as relief shelter with large playground nearby, basic facilities like drinking water and sanitation facilities
- Schools selected should be a mix of all types of schools such as lower primary, upper primary and high schools
- Mix of Schools based on funding –ULBs and PRIs schools
Checklist for selection of one school for Demonstrative retrofitting
- Schools having potential for acting as model Schools for the area and act as temporary shelter in the case of disaster
- Schools with single / more than two rooms / multi story building
- Schools which have already been constructed under SSA
- Based on rapid visual screening by SSA trained engineers
- The engineers trained in the district / State should also confirm the selection of the School.